Communications Sector Group (CSG)Sector overview
- The communications sector provides essential transmission systems and services to the nation through the telecommunications, broadcast, international submarine cable and postal sub-sectors.
- The broadcasting sub-sector is particularly important in providing forecasts and regular updates to the Australian public during natural disasters.
- The Communications Sector Group provides essential inputs for other Australian critical infrastructure sectors, such as banking and finance (i.e. real-time data and data transmission), and all critical infrastructure sectors rely on the communications sector in some form.
- Owners and operators of telecommunications, broadcasting, data services, submarine cables
- The postal sector
- Relevant state and territory government agencies
- Robust cabling infrastructure, satellites and phone towers for the continued provision of services
The Communications Sector Group receives secretariat support from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.